YOUR KUSTOM KOMMUNE QUESTIONS ANSWERED
Got a question about our DIY Workshop, Moto-Community or how things work?
If you cant find what you’re looking for, just get in touch.
THE INTRO DETAILS
WHO & WHAT?
Kustom Kommune is run by a group of dedicated volunteers that are passionate about motorcycles and the surrounding community, we provide all the tools, equipment and networks you need to work on your motorcycle (or other project). Service, maintain, customise, restore, learn or just hang out! Best of all, everyone’s welcome no matter what you ride or your level of experience.
KOMMUNE OPENING HOURS
We are open 10am – 9pm every day, except Mondays.
We are open most public holidays.
Occasionally we will be closed for events, in which case we will post on our Facebook page.
WHERE IS KUSTOM KOMMUNE?
Kommune is located at 8 Duke St, Abbotsford VIC 3067 and soon we’ll have another spot in Brisbane.
I'm not a member yet. can I check out the space?
Swing by and check out the space.
Our friendly volunteers will show you around the space and answer your questions.
What bikes are welcome at Kommune?
Anything and everything is welcome at Kommune!
We love all motos. Road, off-road, custom or commuter and scooter. There really is a bit of everything here.
No egos, no bias, no judgement.
Our crew are all about inclusion and learning – some are here for incredible custom fabrication work, some are here for general maintenance, some are just here to eat pizza from Moondog across the road.
We have café racers up on the lifts alongside Harley’s, sportsbikes and adventure machines. We wouldn’t have it any other way.
How does my membership work and what's included?
We try to keep it as simple as possible.
Kustom Kommune is a relaxed, go at your own pace space, there are no bookings, no hourly rates. Once you’re a member, simply rock up and wrench. Easy as.
Kommune Membership Inclusions:
Included in your Kustom Kommune membership is unlimited access to the workshop, 6 full chests of GearWrench Tools, electrical equipment, Tufflift Motorycle Hoists, heavy machinery (speak to a volunteer for help) and lots more..
- Unlimited use of all tools and equipment
- Save 20% off all Mechanical Training Courses and Private 1-on-1 sessions
- Save minimum 10% OFF RRP off parts and consumables
- Access to over 50 events, rides, and gatherings each year
- Help and advice when ever you need it
Contact us if you have a specific question about inclusions.
Memberships are all subscripotion based (makes it easy for us to manage) paid online only. We dont take payment in store.
Cancel at any time and your membership will run out at the end of the current term (just like popular online streaming subscriptions).
What's not included in my membership?
Theres not much thats not included. You do have access to one of the most decked out Motorcycle Worklshops in Melbourne.
But, a few things to note:
- Volunteers are super happy to help out and point you in the right direction, but they’re not here to do the work for you. Please dont scare them away, we love them too much. Best way to learn is to give it a crack and ask for tips along the way.
- Welding is $20/hr, payable on site via card or scan the QR Code and pay via PayPal – We work on a solid honesty system. This cost helps us covers the consumables.
- Generakl consumables are not included – bring your own oils, cleaners, coolant, etc
- Some nuts & bolts and parts available as a free-for-all. But best you bring what you need specifically. – we can always help you source parts too.
Can I leave my bike at the workshop?
All bikeS left on site must be on a storage subscription.
Yes you can, and yes there is a fee.
Store your bike right here in the workshop, right next to the tools!
All bikes left on site must have a current Storage Subscription.
The only exception being if you’ve had a break-down and have to leave it overnight. This is at our discretion and situational – Speak to the volunteer on site.
Motorcycle Storage is $59 per week or $169 per month and we also have long term, offsite spaces available a suburb over.
What tools and machinery do you have?
We have one hell of a decked out workshop.
We have 4 dedicated work areas:
- Drill Press
- Milling Machine
- Metal Lathe
- Cold Saw
- Buffer & Polisher
- Tyre Changer
- 20T Hydraulic Press
- MIG, AC/DC TIG and Arc welders
- English Wheel
- Pipe Bender
- Flat Bar bender
- Massive welding / assembly benches
- Angle Grinders
- Plumbed with Air feed from massive scroll compressor
- Plus so much more…
DIY BAYS (x5)
CLEAN ZONE AND ASSEMBLY AREA:
- HUGE rolling cabinet of Mechanic specific hand tools provided by GearWrench
- Cupboards full of speciality gear such:
- Spring compressors
- Filter wrenches
- Bearing drivers
- Seal drivers
- Electrical gear
- So, so, much…
GENERAL FLOOR SPACE:
- Perfect for getting you bike up on paddock stands for quick ride in check and adjustments.
PLUS – WASTE RECYCLING
We are a drop off point for:
- Waste Oil
- Used Oil Filters
- Brake Fluild
- Its important to note that FUEL out side of your gas tank must NEVER be left on site.
Who can help me with my bike?
KOMMUNE IS A DIY WORKSHOP WITH HELPIUNG HANDS
While this is a Do It Yourself space, our friendly volunteers are here to help you – although not necessarily DO the work for you. Any questions or help requests can be directed to them and they’ll do their best to help you out, or refer you to someone with the knowledge you are seeking.
Something we always, always push, is IF YOU’RE NOT SURE, ASK QUESTIONS! There’s no such thing as a stupid question here. Promise.
All that said, there’s almost always someone around that knows a thing or two and is happy to point you in the right direction too, never be hesitant to ask other memebers. We’re all here together.
WHAT ABOUT IF IM REALLY KEEN TO LEARN MECHANICS?
A hugely popular option is our 1-0n-1 training sessions, where you and an expert trainer work together, on your own project, at your own speed, with the tools in your hands.
Whether you’re diagnosing a problem engine, re-wiring an entire loom, or getting some welding done, we cover almost every facet of bike building and maintenance.
Want to learn even more? We got you covered with our Mechanic Short Courses.
Group courses run every couple weeks and usually consist of 8-10 people per session, running for 4 hours or so. These are typically theory-based courses with hands-on topics. Work is always done on a shop bike (but you’re welcome to bring yours in, if you have model-specific questions), and snacks & drinks are provided.
Check out the full range of motorcycle mechanic courses.
1-on-1 Training Sessions, what are they, how do I book, how do I cancel?
What’s a 1-on-1 Mechanic training session?
1-on-1 sessions pair you with an expert to not just get the job done, but to also teach you how to do it.
During a one-on-one training session, you’ll be shown exactly how to get the job done, working at your own pace with a dedicated instructor. We’ll explain everything from the best tools to use and why, through to how to perform the job, set-by-step.
If you need parts or consumables, we can order via our suppliers and you’ll save a min 10% Off RRP. We’ll need at least 48 hours notice to order parts and consumables, so please book in advance. Parts and consumables can be paid for when you arrive for the training session.
How do I book a 1-on-1 session?
Head on over to the 1-on-1 sessions page.
You can choose what you’re after (if you’re not 100% sure, ask!) and choose a time. Next, detail what you’re after – Please give as much info as you can!
Once complete, you will be sent a confirmation email including the time, date, details and contact info for your trainer.
All of our trainers are super friendly and happy to help where they can, feel free to ask them questions in the lead-up to the booking. We’d much rather everyone is prepared on the day, so no time is wasted looking for parts or setting things up. We don’t stock consumables and parts, so have those ready before the day!
Can I reschedule my 1-on-1 mechanical training session?
Absolutely.Contact your trainer directly, their details are in the confirmation email.
Can I cancel my 1-on-1 mechanical training session?
- Yes. Please contact your trainer directly regarding the cancellation (contact details are in the confirmation email).
- We can simply reschedule the appointment if you like – again, contact your trainer directly.
- If you’re cancelling within 48hrs of the appointment, no refund can be given.
- You can cancel your 1-on-1 session via the 1-on-1 Courses section of the My Account page.
My bike doesn't run, how can I bring it in?
Motorcycle Transport around Melbourne?
Reach out, we have many members with trailers, utes, vans etc. The crew on our Kommune Facebook Group are very helpful – post up a request there.
Failing that, we do have a GoGet Account and grab a van and sort you out.
Many, many, options.
What facilities does Kustom Kommune have?
We have a kitchen – the only real rules are clean up after yourself, and don’t let things rot in the fridge. Cool? Cool. Theres a decent BBQ and out door area too.
- Big sink
- Full cafe-grade coffee grinder & machine
We love it when the crew makes a nice big family lunch or dinner!
Free WiFi on site, bathrooms, chill out couch area and some desks for those with ‘real jobs’ (suckers!).
How do I cancel my membership?
We know sometimes things change. You can cancel your membership at any time.
Some things to note:
- If you’ve paid for a full year, your membership will still be valid until the end date, which you can check on the My Account page.
- If you’re on an instalment-based membership (split payments over the year), your membership will end when the next payment is due and a cancellation fee may be incurred. Cancellation fees are detailed here, in our Terms and Conditions. Basically, its a minimun 1 year fee of $449 for a Full Membership.
We encourage members to manage thier own subscriptions via thier dashboard.
- Head over to the Memberships section of the My Accounts page.
- On the far-right column of the memberships table, click cancel.
- A pop-up confirmation will appear, select YES if you are sure you want to cancel.
- If you are cancelling early, and automated invoice will be generated and emailed to you. We apreciate the commitment, but we’ll never chase you down for it. Thats not how we roll. Love & Motos, man!
How do I update my payment details so my membership doesn't lapse?
Update your payment details via My Account
- Update your payment details via the Update button, on the Memberships section of the My Account page.
- If you’re using PayPal, you can also update the details by logging into your PayPal account directly.
Contact us if you have any issues.
Credit/Debit card details are not seen or stored by Kommune, as we use Stripe & PayPal for our payment gateways. When you are charged for a subscription, its because you’ve signed up for it, not because we have manually charged you for it.
Changing from instalment-based membership to full-year membership
- If you are currently on an instalment based payment and wish to switch to a membership paid yearly, please contact us.
I have another question
Great, contact us and we’ll get back to you asap or call past the workshop and ask anyone hanging out.